Shaved Summer Squash Salad
Chilled paper-thin ribbons of colorful summer squash are combined with toasted almonds, parmesan, parsley and lemon with just the right touch of fennel in this refreshing summer salad.
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 pounds of summer squash, chilled
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 3 Tablespoons almonds, toasted and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons shaved parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice pinch of chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Wine Forest Fennel Salt
- ground pepper and additional salt to taste
- Combine the shaved summer squash, parsley, almonds and half of the parmesan in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, chili flakes and fennel salt. Drizzle the dressing over the squash and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and additional fennel salt. T
- o serve: Top with the rest of the shaved parmesan cheese. Serve on chilled plates right away if you can, keeping the toasted almonds nice and crunchy and the shaved summer squash nice and cold.
Tips and Techniques
Slicing summer squash so thinly that it can be called shaved is easily done on a mandoline (please use that hand guard), but squash sliced thinly by hand with a knife or vegetable peeler or in a food processor works perfectly well in this recipe.
Substitutions and Variations
Use summer squashes like green and yellow zucchini, cocozelle and caserta, crookneck, or yellow or green scallop or pattypan squash.