This is it. This is simply the best way to cook morels. Whether you’re at a campfire cooking the day’s pickings or at your backyard BBQ, get out a grill basket and cook until the accordion pleats of each morel have a touch of crispy about them. Pile the morels on grilled bread, pour a big glass of zinfandel, then eat, drink, and pity the fools who aren’t eating this tonight.
Serves 4 to 8
- 1½ pounds large fresh morels (more than 3 inches), cleaned and cut in half vertically
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a grill to medium heat.
- Toss the morels with the butter, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Place the morels in a grill basket and grill, tossing the morels occasionally, until they are golden brown and crisped around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the fire.
- Taste for seasoning, adjust as needed, and serve immediately