Tom's Dungeness Crab & Black Trumpet Salad
Tom Worthington of San Francisco's Monterey Fish Market finds the combination of local wild Dungeness Crab and wild black trumpet mushrooms a natural. This brightly and deeply flavored salad focuses these seasonal ingredients in a way that works year-round.
- ½ ounce Wine Forest Dried Black Trumpet Mushrooms or 1 cup of fresh black trumpets
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced Kosher salt to taste 1 shallot, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 ounces mixed salad greens
- 2 ounces watercress, trimmed
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ¾ pound Dungeness Crab meat
- Black pepper to taste
- Rehydrate dried black trumpets, and clean both dried and fresh black trumpets, gently tearing them into strips.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil to a skillet over a medium-low to low flame, add the mushrooms (rehydrated or fresh), lemon zest, garlic and a pinch of salt. Sauté mushrooms until tender, about 5-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- For the dressing, combine the shallot and vinegar in a small bowl and let stand 15 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 4 Tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Combine the watercress and salad greens in a bowl and dress to taste.
- In separate bowls dress the avocado and the crab meat & mushrooms to taste.
- Arrange the avocado and greens on the plates and top with the crab and mushrooms.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and Techniques
Rehydrate dried black mushrooms in a tall container of lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes, or until soft. Swish them in the water, then tear each mushroom into strips. This will dislodge any grit in the long tube of the stem so that it sinks to the bottom. Remove the mushrooms and repeat the soaking and swishing so that the mushrooms are free of any dirt or grit. Drain well.
Substitutions and Variations
Black trumpet mushrooms are one example of a mushroom that once dried, takes on an even more intensified flavor. While this recipe will also work with fresh shiitake or maitake mushrooms, the combination of black trumpets and crab is something quite special. The beauty of own local food is that we can't imagine anything tasting better. Any crab will make a delicious component in this salad.