Mushroom Glazed Tofu
Tofu is nutritious, versatile and a wonderful conduit for harmonious flavors like the umami-loaded deliciousness of mushrooms and seasonings in our Wine Forest Mushroom Alchemy. Grilling tofu gives it firm texture and slight toastiness.
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 block extra-firm tofu
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Wine Forest Mushroom Alchemy
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- Press the tofu: Place the tofu atop a few towels or paper towels on a cutting board or in a shallow bowl. Cover with another absorbent towel, and gently press down to remove any excessive water. Replace any damp towels with dry ones and place a plate, bowl or board on top ot the tofu and let sit for at least half an hour.
- Cut the tofu into ½ inch strips.
- Combine the lemon juice, Balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Mushroom Alchemy, minced garlic and cayenne in a shallow dish and whisk together well. Place the strips of tofu in the dish and coat with the mixture. Allow the tofu to marinade for at least an hour.
- Cook over a medium flame until golden, about 7-10 minutes.
To serve: This tofu will turn vegetables like ripe sliced garden tomatoes, steamed broccoli or ratatouille into a complete meal.
Tips and Techniques
If your firm tofu is nicely drained, cutting the tofu into thin strips will be easy. These will brown more quickly on the grill and have a more intense flavor.
Substitutions and Variations
Combine Mushroom Alchemy with rice wine vinegar and soy in place of the lemon juice and balsamic, and add a touch of sesame oil.