Porcini & Cheddar Cheese Wine Crackers
These mushroomy, cheesy biscuits are loaded with the flavors of porcini and sharp cheddar. Your red wine will be lonely without them.
Makes 2 dozen
- ½ cup soft unsalted butter
- 8 ounces of extra sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tablespoons Wine Forest Porcini Powder
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Wine Forest Porcini Salt
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and the porcini powder and blend thoroughly with a wire wisk.
- In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, grated sharp cheddar cheese the mustard and the salt. Add the egg and blend until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and blend until just mixed.
- Turn the mixture out onto a piece of waxed paper and form a 2 inch wide log. Wrap tightly and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the chilled dough into slices a bit thinner than ¼ inch thick.
- Arrange the rounds on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet about an inch apart. Bake until the edges are golden, about 15 - 20 minutes, being sure to rotate the trays about halfway through baking.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Tips and Techniques
Wonderfully buttery with a firm, slightly tender crumbly texture, these are best served just cooled and eaten freshly baked. Slice off as many crackers as you think you'd like to enjoy, and return the rest of the dough to the refrigerator where it will keep for up to a week.
Substitutions and Variations
This recipe can be augmented with herbs and or black pepper or chili flakes.