Wine Forest True Wild Rice Mix
True Wild Rice (Zisania spp), Organic Jasmine Brown Rice, Porcini, shallots and parsley 12 oz. reclosable container
This rarely seen soft green grass seed is THE genuine wild harvested wild rice. The familiar tough dark brown "wild" rice is actually a cultivated hybrid of the ancient grass seed within this container. The delicious,nutty-flavored wild rice in this savory blend, Zizania spp, is sustainably hand-harvested from canoes on lakes and rivers in Minnesota
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 cups of water or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Wine Forest True Wild Rice
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish to taste
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water or broth of your choice to a rolling boil. Add the teaspoon of salt and stirring genltly, add the 1 cup of True Wild Rice mix.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the blend and cook for 35 - 40 minutes. The rice should just be tender.
- Add the tablespoon of butter and pepper to finish. Garnish with some parsley.
Tips and Techniques:
Wild rice of the premium hand harvested quality we use in our blend has longer kernels and may take longer than other wild rices to cook. Start checking for doneness, or for most of the kernels to be just cracked, after 35 minutes. You'll find that the complex, rich nut-like flavor of this rice will be worth the slightly longer wait.
Substitutions and Variations:
A classic stuffing for fowl, our True Wild Rice with its intensity of wild mushroom flavor holds up beautifully to the addition of dried fruit, wild nuts and herbs such as sage. This dish is also delicious served up chilled and tossed into a salad.